Thursday 19 June 2014

Never underestimate secondhand..

Before I met my hubby 12 years ago, I would of never gone into a second-hand shop especially for furniture.. I was convinced that when it came to decorating your home, 'new' was the only way to go... (entirely snobby I know!!)

So when I first stepped foot into my future husband's unit and 
not only saw second-hand furniture but antique collectables everywhere.. 
I thought to myself 'I need to educate this guy!!'..

Coming back from our honeymoon, heading home to his now 'our' new home, I made him come into ikea to buy all new furniture.. As we started assembling the furniture and I put on my 'I am now the wife so I will decorate this home' hat and started pulling out his old furniture and replacing with new furniture.. He grabbed my hand.. Stared into my eyes and said 'you realise we can mix the old with the new'.. I was like 'WHAT?! Are you kidding me!' Then slowly he showed me what he meant..

Now.. Our home if full of old and new pieces resembling both our personalities.. And you seriously can not get me out of second-hand shops, recycle markets and garage sales!! 

Here are some of the second-hand finds in our home.. Enjoy..


This is one of our best finds yet.. We spotted it at a dump market.. 
Yep thats right; somebody dumped this!!





We have wooden industrial reels as our bedside tables.. 
They are great for holding all our book collections..




We found this great chest at a garage sale.. 
It came over from England with someone's World War collections in it..




This HMV record player and queen-ann style chair was found at a second-hand shop.. 
We were meant to sell them but just couldn't.. So we found a spot!!




We love this old chest which is at the end of our bed.. 
The way the paint chips off tells a tale of its life journey..




Got to love an old school locker.. This one holds all my wine glasses and bottles..
This and the retro fan where bought from a market..




Our dining table we bought for $20 at a recycle market.. Granted it took a week to sand back and restore.. But we were happy with the end result..




We love a good retro chair.. They have such style and are so solid..
I am yet to recover this one, but this throw is doing the job at the moment..




This is my favourite place in the house at the moment.. I have always wanted a nice dressing table just like the girls in the 1920's!! So I was stoked when my sister was selling this one.. I painted me favourite colour 'teal' and put it with the other queen-ann style chair we had..



I hope this has given you some inspiration and if you don't have the time or the flare for restoring, don't hesitate to check out our shop for some great finds!!









No comments:

Post a Comment